WILLIAM H. WARNER SCHOOL
September 1911 – June 1960
Hopefully, some readers have childhood memories of Warner School. If you’re in this category, then you’re able to read this because of Warner School!
An article in the New Haven Register dated June 26, 1960, tells of the closing of Warner School and gives a history of its beginning. “Prior to 1911, the children from the southeastern section of Woodbridge attended “the middle district school”, a one-room schoolhouse located on Amity Road across from the intersection of Center Road.
By 1911, the middle district had increased in population to such an extent, especially in the section located near the New Haven line, that the southeast school district was formed.
A one-room frame building was erected on Lucy Street and opened on September 18, 1911, with twenty-seven pupils. This building still stands and has been in use as a kindergarten up until school closed last Monday.
In four years, the population had increased so greatly that school authorities purchased additional land adjacent to the southeast school, and a two-room brick structure was erected in 1915. This new building was named the William H. Warner School after the man who started serving Woodbridge in the education field as “school visitor” in 1879. Mr. Warner held various positions in the town and on the Board of School Visitors, which was later changed to Town School Committee now known as the Board of Education. At the time of his death in December 1929, Mr. Warner was superintendent emeritus and town treasurer.
The original one-room school building continued to be known as the Southeast School for some time, while the brick building was referred to as Warner. Again, the population of the area was on the upswing and it was necessary to add two more rooms to the Warner School.
In the fall of 1922, just three rooms were used. But, in 1923, the four rooms plus the original building were in full use. There has always been more than one grade taught in a room at Warner School until very recently. Up to June 1954, Warner School always had eight grades. But with the opening of Amity Regional High School, the pupils in the seventh and eighth grades were transferred.